This workshop is designed to completely cover the fundamentals of managing projects. It introduces participants to more complex topics in project management while it deepens their understanding of planning and controlling processes. Participants discover concepts, tools and ways to manage projects to achieve positive outcomes. They apply these principles and techniques to sample projects and create links to their own projects.
Who Should Attend?
The workshop is intended for project managers, project team members, business analysts, technical specialists, subject matter experts, and other project stakeholders who would like to refresh their skills, broaden their understanding, or learn some new approaches. It was created to help project participants reach the next level of proficiency and is appropriate for those with some project management experience and /or minimal project management training.
In this course participants will learn to:
- Define project requirements and scope.
- Develop a work breakdown structure and project activities.
- Build a network diagram to show activity sequence.
- Define resources required and create accountabilities across functions.
- Develop time and cost estimates.
- Generate project budgets and calendar-based schedules.
- Evaluate and plan for risk.
- Identify and analyze key stakeholders.
- Create a plan to meet communication needs.
- Track and manage project progress.
- Close out the project and conduct a post project review
The workshop includes a detailed Participant Guide that has references to A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), the international ANSI standard of the Project Management Institute (PMI®). The Participant Guide illustrates tools and techniques with a comprehensive project example and describes a simplified project planning process.
- Course Overview
Module 1: Project Management Overview
- Project Terminology, Process Groups, Knowledge Areas
- Triple Constraints
- Waterfall Methodology
- Agile Scrum Methodology
- Project Selection Process
- Exercise – Pick a Project (used through class)
Module 2: Project Definition
- Components of Project Charter
- Exercise – Develop Project Charter
Module 3: Stakeholder Management
- Stakeholder Identification
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Exercise – Create a Stakeholder Register
Module 4: Requirements Management
- Project Failure Costs and Reasons
- Types of Requirements
- Documenting Requirements / User Stories
- Exercise – Document Requirements
Module 5: Scope Management
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Exercise – Develop WBS
Module 6: Scheduling
- Scheduling Steps (Define Activities, Sequence, Estimate)
- Network Diagram
- Critical Path
- Exercise – Create Network Diagram
Module 7: Project Costs
- Types of Estimate
- Estimate Ranges
- 3 Point Estimates
- Agile Estimating
Module 8: Communication Management
- Communication Channels
- Communication Plan
- Exercise: Create a Communication Plan
Module 9: Change Management
- Importance of Change Management
- Change Control Board
Module 10: Risk Management
- Assess (Probability x Impact)
- Mitigation Strategies
- Exercise – Create a Risk Register
Module 11: Monitoring & Controlling
- Status Reporting
Module 12: Project Closure
- Lessons Learned
- Historical Information
- Exercise – Lesson Learned Session